The following are exercises you can do for your feet to re-energize them and get the blood circulation going. It is most effective if you remove your shoes and stay in your socks or barefoot.
- Sit straight in your chair with your knees over your ankles. Make sure that your feet are planted on the floor and are shoulder-width apart. Alternatively, raise each ankle off the floor with your toes planted on the floor. Raise the left ankle, then the right ankle for 10 repetitions.
- For both feet, raise the toes off the floor with your ankles planted on the floor. Then lower your toes to the floor and raise your ankles off the floor in a rocking motion. Repeat this motion 10 times.
- Roll your feet inward toward each other so that the outer part of your feet are off the floor with the inside part of your feet still touching the floor. Then roll your feet out so that the inner part of your feet are off the floor and the outside of your feet are touching the floor. Repeat this 10 times.
- Clench your toes inward into a “fist.” Then stretch your toes out again. You are making “fists” with your feet. Repeat this 10 times.
- While seated, bend at the knee and extend your right foot out in front of you. When your leg is extended, spread out your toes then relax. Repeat with the left leg/foot then do 10 sets.
- While seated, bend at the knee and extend your right foot out in front of you. When your leg is extended, clench your toes in (fists). Repeat with the left leg/foot then do 10 sets.
- While seated, bend at the knee and extend your right foot out in front of you. Make Circles with your foot at the ankle 3 times to the right then 3 times to the left. Bring your foot back to the starting position. Repeat with your left foot and do 10 sets.
- Stand up and take a few steps on tiptoes. Then, take a few steps on your heels. Alternate between tiptoe and heels for 10 sets.
Another good idea is, whenever you’re walking up a staircase, walk on your toes rather than flat-foot. However, if you have knee problems or pain consult with your doctor first before consistently doing this.